Thursday 31 October 2013

Let there be valance

Valance install.

Over the last week or so I have been preparing the 2400 x 1200 x 3mm MDF sheets. They all needed to be painted white on one side (to reflect the light) and black on the opposite side.

Once I completed painted about 12 sheets of the MDF I then cut them into 400mm wide x 2400 long sections. As each sheet is 1220 wide I was able to get 3 x 400mm wide sheets from each larger sheet.

At this point I am super thankful for the help of my wife Michelle to helping feed the 12 sheets multiple times through the ever reliable Triton workbench.

The end result being 36 sheets ready to be installed.

As I planed to install the valance my self I found a I needed a 2nd pair of hands holding up the 2400mm long sheet. I quickly devised a jig using a old Black and Decker saw bench, a bunch of clamps and some timber. This mean that I was able to position one end of the valance near the ceiling and in roughly the correct spot and then start at the opposite end and screw the valance to the mounting timber I had installed some weeks ago. Got to love it when a plan comes together.!

Late yesterday and last night I installed all 36 odd sheets that were needed.

Then I cut up some extra smaller sheets that I then glue to the back of the valance to form a strong joint or connection between the each valance sheet. To do this I simply cut pre painted MDF sheets to 360mm x 200mm. Then with large amounts of wood glue, a few clamps and timber to hold it all in place I proceeded to connect all the sheets together.

Per the pictures I'm still working my way around the valance and gluing each part.

The next step is to paint all the silver screws that hold it to the mounting timber and to paint the walk ceiling along the walk ways. Hopefully I will complete the walkways this weekend.

Once the ceiling is painted I will then move the currently installed lights to just behind the valance and then obtain a few 5m LED light strips to complete the rest of the lighting in the room.

Here are a few pictures of the completed valance.





No comments:

Post a Comment