Wednesday 6 June 2012

Time for more Signals to be built.

The layout is still in storage while I prepare the shed for its home coming.
Other tasks like assembling the car port is needed to be completed in order to move the 5m long roller door from inside the shed before I can line the walls of the shed and clean it out.

I decided it was time to tackle the build of my D&H specific dual mast signals in preparation for the Melbourne N Scale Convention in 2013.

Here is what I aim to build.

I have been working with a good friend Vic Fitzpartick to develop the relevant brass parts in order to build the signals I need.

Fortunately the top part of each of the signals with the search lights on them uses the same part as the single mast units that I have already built for the layout with a few minor changes.

So this week I set out to built one of each of the signals to make sure that the test etchings we did a while ago have all the parts needed and go together as expected.

Here is the work bench.

I made myself a jig to hold each of the 3 search lights in position while I add the other parts such as the top and middle walk ways as well as solder the common leg of the LED to the mast etc.

Here is a pic of the work in progress of the cantilever signal that I have been working on.

The other signal (being the same as the black signal in the picture at the top of this post) I built but the size of the foot walk is not right, so a small change is needed in the drawings for the etching. So will get onto that next time.

In the mean time, I have been making the top sections with the search lights while I wait for more etchings.

I have completed 4 top sections so far. Only another 16 to go for the layout.

So thats the progress for now.

Stay tuned for the next update..