Thursday 11 December 2014

Car cards and more car cards

Time to sort some car cards.

Now that the last test operations session is completed and the planning and preparation for installing fascia is well under way, I decided that I needed to sort our my car cards and place them with each of the cars and figure out what cars I have cards for and what I don't.

I am also in the throws of preparing to develop a schedule and that heavily relies on all cars and loco's having a card each.

Some time ago (about 5 years) I photographed all my cars and loco's and made car cards for them. Since then, there have been additions to the fleet and this issue needed to be resolved.

In order to find all the cars with no cards, I had to take all the trains out of staging and get them up onto the main level where I can see the numbers on the cars. I then sorted the cards into car type and this then enabled me to do many many laps of the room to find all the cars.

I placed each card next to the relevant cars. This then enabled me to locate the ones that don't have cards.

I then made up a stack of cards that belong to each train and moved the trains back into staging. The cars left over are the ones with out cards.

I then rounded up the cars and placed them into 1 location so I can photograph them and make cards for those cards.

Here are a few pictures to give you some perspective of the size of the task..

All in all, about 6 hours to sort, find, place cards, make train stacks and move the trains back.

There are around 80 loco's, 440 cars all in 13 different trains and cars at industries.







Now that I have taken a break from the fascia work, I will now get back to that.

Until next update.

2 comments:

  1. Glad to see you are following in our footsteps young fella. Now just how many hand written way bills do you need ?
    Regards
    Rod.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. I think the answer to that is "at least 440".

      I would not have guessed there were that many cars on the layout. It doesn't look crowded at all, although I suppose that most of them were in staged trains rather than on the modelled layout.

      I'm looking forward to the next session, Brendan. And I have the PAs ready to roll.

      Regards,
      Ron

      Delete