Tuesday, 17 September 2013

Valance support and painting

A little more work has been done on the D&H over the last few days.

I have now completed the install of the timber along the ceiling where the valance will be installed.
As the valance will be 3mm MDF, I needed to have timber installed on the ceiling so that the MDF can be attached and be suspended from the ceiling.
As part of this job I allowed for an additional 40mm space out from the layout fascia for the valance to be installed. This will enable the lights to be placed as far forward and as close to the valance as possible so that there are no shadows cast on the building, scenery and trains that are near the front of the layout.

Here are a few progress pictures.

Now that the timber is installed I plan on painting it the same colour as the ceiling so that it blends in and cant be seen. The plan is to also use the timber to mount the fluorescent lights.

During the course of the late afternoon, Sam came into the shed asking if there was anything he could do. As I never want to discourage eager enthusiasm, I quickly grabbed a bucket of paint and handed Sam a paint brush. With the help of Sam, we set about painting the wall studs along the peninsula where the staging will be installed. As there is a gap of approx 300mm between staging and the main deck, and plan to keep the staging area open, I wanted to make sure that the timber work in the staging area is nice and dark and out of the way. So, we set about painting 300 to 400mm  of each wall stud where the space for staging is so that it does not need to be done later when painting it will be more difficult due to installed road bed and track.
Once we completed the wall studs we set about painting the lower supports at the end of each peninsula as they will be seen and needed to blend into the background. So they also received a lick of paint.

Sam did a great job with the paint brush. Thanks Sam!.

As I may have mentioned in the past, the dark colour I'm using is a colour bond colour called monument. It is dark and almost black but not quite. It has come up really well.

One other task that was needed to be done was to plan where the DCS100 and the associated layout power supplies are to be installed. I have now run a power cable from a wall outlet to the end of the isle near Whitehall, installed a power board and also installed a shelf (and painted it) in readiness. Tick that's another job done.

Tomorrow or Thursday I will hand him the paint brush to do more on the staging area..

The 37 odd sheets of 3mm MDF for thew fascia and valance has now been ordered and will arrive next week. So stand by for some more painting (before the back boards and fascia is installed) and then the install of the boards..

Thanks for following along.

1 comment:

  1. Looking good, great lad that Sam. Are you planing on painting the rest of the dividing wall supports to the floor just in case you do not install a wall.
    Just thought I would ask.