Monday 24 June 2013

Moving out of Oneonta and heading for Whitehall.

Time for a change of location!.

After my last post and a great deal of thought and discussion with Rod, Ron, and Greg, and after receiving a new D&H book called "Delaware & Hudson Bridge Line Freight 1960 - 1983 Volume 1 the North end"..
I decided that the Champlain division was calling and some of the scenery possibilities that the location afforded me was too good to pass on. (besides, Ron has always suggested that the North end of the D&H was the place to be due to lake Champlain!)..

After reading through the new book by Dominic Bourgeois, and finding so many possibilities I decided it was time..

So once the existing layout is dismantled, I will say good by to the Penn Division and hello to the Champlain and Saratoga Divisions.!

Now I have a location and many industries, I reviewed my floor plan with Rod Warren and we decided that a shed measuring 7.6m x 5.8m was big enough to handle 3 peninsula's rather than 2.

So I set to work using AnyRail to replan the shed and the peninsula's and the track plan.

I stuck with the given of NO Duckunder and it worked.

I also stuck with the given of plenty of space between the main deck and staging and have managed to achieve 300mm at the main staging yard point while maintaining a grade of no more than 2%.
The min radius is a much better 443mm (16 inches) compared to the much tighter current layout.

My other givens are already listed in earlier posts such as train length, full CTC etc etc.

Here is a draft of the main deck (things may change slightly in towns but the main floor plan is now about right)



Here is the draft of the staging level.


Im not completely happy with the track plan in Whitehall so will keep working on that.

Please post any comments or suggestions.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Brendan.

    I love this revised track plan. I think it makes excellent use of your space, and will provide some very interesting operation with a real sense of 'going somewhere'. I assume that the 16" radius was the trade off for the third peninsula, and it was a great trade to make. Besides, if you use transition curves and appropriate screening you might even be able to go a little tighter right at the ends of the peninsulas without anyone even noticing.

    Ron

    ReplyDelete