Monday, 27 July 2020

Signal install progress

Board builds and testing.

This weekend, as part of covid 2.0 lock down in Victoria, I spent building sub boards with resistors for my signal install. I also re tested the 28 signal masts that I had previously built. Fortunately they have stood the test of time with only a few minor repairs that had to be carried out.

I have a number of dwarf signals that I need to build for Whitehall and staging. The main 3 head masts are all built as taken from the old D&H V2 layout some years ago.

Here are the sub boards that I have built. There are different configurations for the boards depending on the main driver board that they connect to. Such as the TC64, SE8C, SRC16 and LocoHDL boards. As some signals are driven from the same 10 pin cable, and are not near each other for the wires to reach the 1 board, I was able to design the boards in a way that if I splice into the 10 pin cable with a male splice plug, then a female plug on the end of the main cable and the splice cable, I can then make wiring simpler.
The other main change is the use of the small screw terminals. On the old layout I simple soldered the enamel coated armature wire to pin headers and this was a real pain. Fortunately, I was able to source the small screw terminals from ebay for the job.

Here is a rather messy work bench. I have a few more to make for the SE8C''s once my parts arrive this week.

Hare are the sub boards that have been built thus far

Sub boards ready for install

Post signal testing and repair, the signals are laid out around the layout to make sure I have enough 

More to follow on the signal install process.


  1. I do not envy you're task doing signals in N Scale...!

  2. Nice work Brendan. I like the small boards they look very proffesional.